A crab is a creature found in the sea and has around, and a flat body that is covered by a shell. It has 5 pairs of legs with the front pair having some huge claws. The movement of carbs is made sideways. The fresh part of a crab is what human beings consume as their food.
There are numerous kinds of crabs that are found in some parts of the world. There are several species that are highly consumed in the US. Snow and king carb are mainly found in Alaska, Dungeness crab is found along with Alaska and West Coast, and Blue crab is found in Mexico and Eastern Seaboard.
When cooking and serving crab, you should know how long does uncooked crab last in the fridge. Let’s find out the shelf life of uncooked crab.
How Long does Uncooked Crab Last in the Fridge?
If you want your crab meat to last for long, you should refrigerate the meat within two hours of cooking. Well stored crab meat should last for up to 3-5 days. You need to consider the quality and safety of your meat before refrigerating it. Use a shallow airtight container or alternatively wrap your meat with an aluminum foil.
How long does a cooked crab last at room temperature?
There is a huge growth of bacteria at room temperatures ranging between forty degrees Fahrenheit and one forty degrees Fahrenheit. Cooked crab meat should not be consumed if left for two hours or more at room temperatures.
What to look for when buying cooking crab
When one is buying cooking crab, you need to look for some crustaceans that are alive. In case you do not want to buy live crab, you can consider buying ready meat that has been cooked and processed.
You should avoid buying raw or dead crab. The meat will not last long since it turns out to be mushy within a short period. You might consider buying meat portions that are in the shell, make sure that the meat you can see is white, and always consider checking signs of gray and blue pockets, and freezer burns.
If you live near a source, then you are lucky since you will be getting something that is in season. This is an assurance that you will be getting quality products direct from the source. However, there are some vendors who might try to trick their clients by selling products that are not fresh. You should be careful with what you get all the time.
How much should you buy?
It is not easy for one to know the exact amount of crab meat they should buy if they are buying live crab. You should go for crab meat. It will be enough for you or your family. If you are serving crab meat with something else, then the amount you buy should be less compared to when you are not serving with anything else for your meal.
How to cook crab meat
It is easy to cook crab, although there are different methods of cooking crabs. You can choose the method that suits you best when it comes to how you love crab meat prepared.
Boiling crabsBoiling crabs is a common method preferred by many people. It is also a method that can be used when it comes to preparing different varieties of crabs. Here are simple steps to follow:
- Get some water in your pot and place it on fire to boil. Ensure you add enough salt to the boiling water and any seasoning you would wish to.
- Add your crab meat one after the other to the boiling water and let them cook for some minutes. Give your meat sometimes until the crabs start floating on the boiling water. It takes up to 15 minutes for the crabs to float on water depending on the size of your crab.
- Remove the crabs from the water using tongs to avoid burns. Set the crabs in a clean place for cooling before handling them.
Steaming helps in retaining the crab’s tasty juices and hinders them from gaining lots of water which might happen when you boil them. Here are easy steps to follow when boiling crabs:
- Boil some salted water in a huge cooking pot.
- You can choose to have your crabs in a steamer basket or have some bottom crabs in the boiling pot so that they can act as a raised area for other crabs to steam.
- Cover your pot for up to 20 minutes depending on the size of your crabs. Remove your steamer or carbs from the pot using tongs and let them cool before consuming them.
Maybe you are interested: