You’ve probably seen refried beans in Mexican restaurants or even made them at home! In both Tex-Mex and Mexican style restaurants, cheese is often used to top them up and then served as a side dish, accompanied by rice. They are an easy to cook dish and they are made using mashed beans. But how long do refried beans last in a fridge?
What Consists of Refried Beans?
Refried beans are mostly made using pinto beans in the United States. They can be served with Tex-Mex restaurant dishes, mainly as a side dish. They are also prevalent as a dip for the corn tortilla chips. These beans are the primary ingredient in several pupusa and chimichanga recipes. If you are making refried beans at home, you could also use kidney beans or black beans.
Why is the name Refried Beans?
The term for this dish comes from a Spanish name – frijoles refritos. “Refritos” in Spanish refers to “well-fried”. To make refried beans, you must soften them first by cooking them in water.
How Long do Refried Beans Last in a Fridge?
Refried beans can be safely stored in a fridge for three to four days.
However, to prolong the shelf life if you are using canned refried beans put them in a plastic container or covered glass after opening. If you keep them refrigerated continuously and in an airtight container, they can comfortably last for three to five days. If you store the beans in the freezer, they can last for twelve months and still be safe and healthy for consumption.
How Do You Cook Refried Beans?
- Sift through the beans and remove any unwanted particles. Rinse the beans and soak them.
- Boil the beans. Drain them and add them to a saucepan, covering them with clean water.
- Heat oil or lard in a skillet. Fry the beans.
- Mash the beans gently using a fork or a potato masher, as you fry them.
How to Store Refried Beans
These beans are pretty easy to make and store. There are the different storage options that you can use to store them especially if you want to make them in a large batch. If you are in short of a freezer, they can also be stored in a fridge. This is an excellent option for people who do a lot of hiking and backpacking. If you have leftover refried beans and you intend to use them in a few days, you can simply put them in the fridge. This makes them easily available without you having to do the extra work of defrosting. Alternatively, they can be preserved in the freezer.
Steps to Follow When Storing Refried Beans in the Refrigerator
Allow the beans to cool down to room temperature.Place the refried beans in an airtight storage bag or container that can be properly sealed.Store the beans in the fridge and use them within 5days.Reheat them when needed or simply add them to a dish of your choice.
It’s important to note that for canned refried beans, they should never be frozen in the can. They can remain in unopened cans for a while but once opened, they need to be put in a different dish.
Can you freeze Refried Beans
The freezer is an excellent way of storing refried beans. This storage method is excellent for storing them in bulk and freezing them for later use. It’s a good way of simplifying future mealtimes. In case you have made the refried beans in bulk, you need to split them into smaller portions. The following steps are to be followed when storing refried beans in the freezer:
- Allow the beans to cool to room temperature.
- Separate the beans into small portions.
- Place these portions into different freezer bags or airtight containers.
- Be sure that whichever container you choose is airtight and properly sealed.
- If the container isn’t airtight, you can cover the lid with a plastic wrap just to protect the beans from the air.
- Seal, label and date all packaging.Freeze the beans for a maximum of 12 months.
It’s important to note that twelve months is the timeline offered for this storage process, but if it is accurately followed, the beans can be stored indefinitely in the freezer. This means that if the beans are frozen at zero degrees Fahrenheit when properly sealed, they can never go bad,
Why Freeze Refried Beans?
- The beans can last forever if stored properly in airtight containers.
- They are easy to use after being frozen.
- The process of cooking and freezing refried beans is simple and uncomplicated.
- The beans can be used to make a variety of dishes.
- Freezing refried beans is inexpensive and the beans can last for several months, saving you time and energy.
How to Use Refried Beans After You Have Frozen them
After you have frozen refried beans and you need to use them, the procedure is very simple! You can toss the beans in the fridge and allow them to thaw overnight, before reheating them. Alternatively, reheat your beans using a skillet or a pan. If the beans are a little dried up after removing them from the freezer, you can add some oil or water to achieve your preferred consistency. Thawing the refried beans in the microwave is another easy way of reheating them.
Making and storing refried beans is uncomplicated. You can easily make them at home especially if you use canned beans! Making them in bulk saves you time and gives you several serving options that you can enjoy from this amazing dish. Now that you know how long do refried beans last in a fridge, you can enjoy and store the dish properly.
See more tips: