Pocket knives are any camper’s best friend – they’re handy, useful, and is a basic survival kit. Because of its many uses, the blade may lose sharpness. Do not fear, in this article were going to help you find the best pocket knife sharpener that can accompany you on any adventure you want to experience.
Why Should I Use A Pocket Knife Sharpener?
1. To upgrade the process.
Gone are the days when you had to sit and manually grind the blades of the knife to a whetstone. Pocket knives are small, and so have a little margin of error especially for the inexperienced. With a knife sharpener you are sure to perfect the process even with just little knowledge of the process.
2. It is time efficient.
Today’s world calls for an upgrade on how you sharpen your pocket knife for that on-the-go lifestyle. Investing on a knife sharpener will not only give you more time for other tasks, but will also save your energy in having to perform manual labor.
3. You need to be always ready.
Pocket knives are usually carried around to aid in outdoor activities. If you forgot to sharpen the blade before leaving for the trip, a knife sharpener can do the trick for you in just a matter of seconds. Being ready is always better than scrambling and looking for alternatives.
4. It is cheaper than buying a new pocket knife.
The blade of a new knife is always of best quality, it is sharp and well polished that it is able to cut through what you need. Instead of buying a new one when it gets dull, a pocket knife sharpener can rejuvenate its blade to make it seem as if it has never lost its sharpness. You can use this tool with any blade you own, therefore not only good as an outdoor tool but also makes a great household item.
What To Look For When Buying A Pocket Knife Sharpener
1. It should be portable.
When being outdoors, there are instances wherein you need a sharper blade than what you have. Since pocket knives are handy, portability is one feature that should be taken into consideration when buying. The best pocket knife sharpener should be able to effortlesly accompany your knife on your adventures. Similar to a pocket knife, it should pose no hassle to carry but still be able to deliver quality results.
2. Has a multi-function purpose.
Pocket knives may have a lot of additional tools in them, curved edges and serrated blades may also be present. Look for a pocket knife sharpener that is capable of sharpening and polishing all the little details of your knife.
3. Delivers quality sharpening work.
Getting the same professional finish and sharpness by using a traditional whetstone can also be achieved by using pocket knife sharpeners. Be sure to look for a product that is equipped with a strong rod or stone that can fully rejuvenate your dull blades.
When buying a product you must always study and look at how well it is made as the build quality can determine the durability and lifespan you can get from your purchase. When going to a physical store, look at the details of the product and see if it can keep up with the work you intend to use it with.
Top 5 Best Pocket Knife Sharpener
1. BlizeTec Knife Sharpener
The BlizeTec Knife Sharpener is a 3-in-1 tactical pocket size sharpener kit that takes on the shape of a pen. It can be used in sharpening almost any type of knife: the flat edge for standard surface blades items similar to ceramic knives, and another edge is dedicated for serrated ones.If you want extra space in your luggage, but still enjoy the benefits of a standard knife sharpener, then this product is for you.
- It sports a portable pen-shape design that weighs only 1.46oz;
- It is outdoor friendly, can be used to sharpen outdoor tools such as fishing hooks, hunting knives, pocket knives;
- This knife sharpener has a tapering end, making sharpening tools with profiles or curves easier;
- The handle and knife is made from aluminum combined with ultra metal coated diamond rod;
- Covered with a lifetime warranty.
- The rod is aluminum not steel, making it less durable;
- Not designed for beginners,may be difficult to use because of its small size;
2. Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker
The Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker is a product that was designed in the simplest form, but not compromising the quality of the output that can be created. This sharpening system comes with two ceramic set of stones, the brown colored set is for rough heavy sharpening work and the white colored stones are for finishing or polishing of the blade. These stones are in triangular shape making flexible with either serrated or non-serrated blades, a feature usually not achieved with knife sharpeners.
- Comes with brass rods that act as safety barrier to safeguard your hands when sharpening;
- It comes with a carrying case that fits all the stones and rods;
- The same carrying case is where you attach the stones when performing the sharpening process;
- The two stone sets is very versatile, can adapt to your type of blade;
- Comes with instructional DVD to teach you basics of knife sharpening and how to use the system;
- An oil-free process;
- This is very straightforward and simple to use.
- Carrying case is a little bit bigger than other portable knife sharpeners;
- May be difficult to use for beginners.
3. Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multi-function Sharpener
Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal is a multi-function sharpener that features pre-set crossed carbides and ceramic stones well positioned in slots. In addition to these two, a small diamond coated rod is placed for sharpening serrated knies and other outdoor equipment such as hooks. The pocket pal is a compact tool that measures 3- ½ inches long and 1 inch wide – a sure winner for those of you looking for the most travel friendly pocket knife sharpener.
- Very compact, designed for outdoor travels;
- A versatile product that provides quick edge setting via the use of its carbide blades, and the ceramic stones provide a smooth polished edge;
- Can be used on either serrated or non-serrated knives;
- Installed blades are reversible and replaceable;
- It is easy to hold during sharpening because of its thumb mold;
- Has a lanyard hole, making it easier to carry around or clip with keys and other small items.
- Serration rod connection is fragile, it may break because of its plastic material when not handled carefully.
4. Koolife Knife Sharpener
The Koolife Knife sharpener is a professional 3 stage sharpening system that features the prep stage, sharpen stage, and finishing stage. The ‘prep’ slot realigns the knife blade, the ‘sharpen’ slot adds the fine edge to the blade for sharper cutting, and the ‘finish’ slot polishes the blade for a clean finish. This sharpener can sharpen pocket knives, but is not really designed for the outdoors and is used more on kitchen sharpening.
- The design features a handle that is contoured for safe and comfortable handling when sharpening;
- The base is installed with anti-slip rubber that keeps the device in place during sharpening;
- The grinder where the slots are placed in can be detached making cleaning an easier process.
- Is not a convenient tool to use during your travel with your pocket knife.
5. Zulay Kitchen Knife Sharpener
Zulay Kitchen’s Knife Sharpener is a trusted brand by chefs that surprisingly does not work well on kitchen knives, but also for pocket knives, scissors, and other outdoor blades.If you are looking for a sharpener that can be as versatile as possible and is a great addition to your tool collection, then this Zulay Kitchen knife sharpener is for you.
- This device is compatible with a wide range of blades;
- Offers both the comfort of a modern knife sharpener and a traditional whetsone;
- Offers a two-stage sharpening system: whether you need a major fix for your blade or just a minor touchup, the Zulay Kitchen knife sharpener can achieve this;
- Designed with an ergonomic handle that allows tight grip and control to make sharpening knives easy;
- Equipped with non-slip grip bottom that keeps the sharpener in place and safe to use;
- Offers a wide range of knives compatible for sharpening.
- This tool is not designed to be portable or outdoor friendly.
We’ve discussed the features to look for in finding the best pocket knife sharpener, but all depends on how you want to be able to use the product. Thes items mentioned are highly recommended, but one stands out to be the clear winner and that isSmith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multi-function sharpener. This is easily the best pocket knife sharpener as it is portable, outdoor friendly,easy to use, and can effortlessly accompany your pocket knife on any adventure you plan to take.