We dread the moment when knives go dull becauseits a hassle trying to bring backits perfect sharpness. But there is less worrywhen you have the best electric knife sharpener. In this article we’re going to explain what you need to know to findthe best electric knife sharpener that will give freedom from a dreaded task.
Why Should I Use An Electric Knife Sharpener?
1. Easy to use.
The best thing about an electric knife sharpener is you do not need any professional experience to bring back the life of dull knives. It is a plug and play device, you simply have to position it in the correct slot, guide it through the sharpening process, and you’re done.
2. Doing it yourself instead of having it professionally sharpened saves more time.
Having to travel to and from a sharpening shop requires time, effort, and additional work. Investing on an electric knife sharpener will give all the same benefits while still being in the comfort of your own home.
3. Quality is better.
Using traditional whetsone in sharpening takes up too much time and requires experience. Having an electric knife sharpener produces better quality of blades in comparison to manually grinding them. If you are inexperienced and looking for a way to save time and effort without compromising quality, then this might be for you.
What To Look For When Buying An Electric Knife Sharpener
The best electric knife sharpener should be portable, for it to be easily transferred from one part of the kitchen to another, and stored away when not in use. Check the power cord that comes with it and see to it that the length is enough for your needs. Take note that it should be portable, but the quality of materials should not appear flimsy or prone to breaking.
2. Stays in place.
This small feature is often forgotten by buyers, but plays an important role in the ease of use for any electric knife sharpener. Find a tool that has a grip capacity underneath so it can stay in place while being used with less need of pinning it down. Check if rubber matting or any suction can be provided in the base area of the item.
3. Safety design.
The best electric knife sharpener should allow the user to a grip that is safe even when in the process of sharpening. Measure out the dimensions of the product and see whether you can properly position your hand. Is it safe to touch when in storage? Can there be a possibility of accidentally cutting your fingers? Do a visual check and try to imagine using it first before purchasing it.
For any product we purchase, we want to make sure that it will last a long time and is worth every penny. If you are buying from a physical store then get a feel of the materials used, how it was made and make sure it can stand wear and tear.
5. Compatible with a wide range of knives.
The best electric knife sharpener to buy should not only be flexible. See if it features sharpening for both serrated and non-serrated blades, equipment knives, or even pocket knives. The wider the range of use, the better it will be in terms of value for your money.
Top 5 Best Electric Knife Sharpener
1. WusthofPEtec Electric Sharpener
The WusthofPEtec is the first product in this list for the best electric knife sharpener. It uses precision edge technology to sharpen and make it seem like the blades never went dull. This features a three stage knife sharpening process: stage one is for sharpening and getting back the angle, stage 2 is for honing the blade, and stage 3 is for stropping or polishing of the blade. Use of the three stages may vary, depending on your preference and what kind of sharpness you want to achieve with your blade.
- It has a three-stage knife processing achieves great professional results in seconds;
- It can be used for both serrated and non-serrated knives;
- It produces extra sharp knives that can hold long periods of use;
- Able to sharpen even small knives because the design makes it easy to position any blade;
- Stays in place even during sharpening process;
- Safe to use even on expensive or professional knives.
- Some units can have misaligned guides.
2. LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener
The LINKYO electric knife sharpener is a tool that is equipped with an automatic blade positioning system that can hold the knives in the ideal sharpening position. Guiding the knife back and forth will be the only thing you do as the machine adjusts the blade to the correct angle. This might be a good choice if you are having trouble with your previous sharpening tool in finding the right spots to focus on.
- Has an automatic blade positioning system requiring less work;
- It has heavy-duty non-slip suction cup feet that keeps it firmly in place even when being used;
- Features 2-stage sharpening: stage 1 reshapes the angle and sharpens the edge, and step 2 cleans the blade finish while polishing the knife;
- It has easy to remove plugs for the receptacles that allow for faster cleaning.
- The inside parts may fall apart, causing damage to your knife;
- Putting pressure on the knife can weaken the motor.
3. Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
The Presto 08800 Eversharp is a two-stage sharpening system that quickly sharpens any non-serrated blade. It creates the perfect edge by using Sapphirite sharpening wheels, the same material being used by professional shops. This knife sharpener has 4 slots, the first two will rejuvenate your blade’s angle wherein you switch the blade to another slot when one side has already been sharpened. Theremaining two slots will give your blade the polishing finish.
- Precision blade guides position the knives in the angle that will best achieve professional results, user only has to guide the knife;
- Two-stage sharpening system not only revives your blade’s sharpness but cleans the overall look by leaving polished sides;
- Motor is not loud;
- Thick sharpening wheels are guaranteed for heavy duty use, and can withstand a series of sharpening.
- Requires moistening the bottom part to create suction with surface and not move around;
- Motor may be a little too sensitive to pressure;
- Cannot be used on serrated knives;
- Requires swift movement of the knife as the grinding stones may bend your blade.
4. Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect Electric Knife Sharpener
The Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect is a highly-acclaimed professional knife sharpener that can sharpen both serrated and non-serrated knives. While traditionally sold knives come in 20 degree angles of the blade, the Trixor XV can realign any knife’s bladeto create a 15 degree angle that is said to provide maximum performance and easier cutting experience by giving a thinner blade.
- Produces quality knife sharpening similar to when brought to professional shops;
- The 3-stage process allows the blade to be sharpened with very minimal metal removal, prolonging the life of your knife;
- It can sharpen serrated and non-serrated knives;
- Wheel is equipped with diamond abrasives on disks that effectively hones the blade;
- EdgeSelect feature makes it more flexible in choosing the perfect sharpness for your blade.
- The inside parts may fall apart, and may cause damage to your knife;
- Putting pressure on the knife can weaken the motor and overtime render the machine useless.
5. Chef’s Choice 120 Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener
The Chef’s Choice 120 Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener is an all-in-one sharpener that caters to almost every known blade we use. Be it a gourmet chef’s knives, butcher knives, sporting knives, or other serrated knives, it can deliver a sharp blade in just a few seconds. This might be a great deal if you’re looking for a sharpener that can be utilized for all your fancy knives.
- It has a three year warranty period;
- Capable of sharpening a wide range of blades, even those not for kitchen use;
- Built with three-stage precision sharpening;
- Lets you select the edge to match the need and focus of sharpness you want;
- Contains diamond coated disks producing a sharp edge and longer-lasting edges.
- May cause scratches at the sides of some knives.
- Malfunctions after a couple of use.
The 5 best products of this article are all highly recommended, but one product truly stood out in terms of all the features we were looking for. The WusthofPEtecelectric sharpener is our top choice and a clear winner in this battle for the best electric knife sharpener– it has a great build quality, and can bring back the sharpness of any dull knife. Best of all, this sharpener is known to give the benefit of a professional knife shop, without having to leave the comfort of home.