The Best Manual Knife Sharpener To Buy In 2018
New knives create a lesser work time in the kitchen because slicing and preparation is made easier, but overtime they lose their sharpness. This is where investing on the best manual knife sharpener comes into action – keep your blades for longer use by regularly sharpening them while producing professional output in the comfort of your own home.
Why Should I Use a Manual Knife Sharpener?
1. There’s lesser chance of your knife being damaged.
Electric knife sharpeners get the job done quickly, but since everything is automated, sometimes the blade gets damaged or proper alignment is not achieved. If you have high-quality blades, a manual knife sharpener is better because you have total control of the process and there is less risk of any blade damage.
2. It adds to your kitchen skills.
Kitchen skills are not only limited to cooking itself, knife sharpening can be added in your skill set. Getting used to manual knife sharpening methods make you always prepared for any situation. If you attend a party wherein an immediate sharpening is needed, then you’ll be the lifesaver.
3. It will extend your blade’s lifespan.
Anyone who owns a knife should have a knife sharpener, for knives to last it should be regularly sharpened. Having a manual knife sharpener will make the job fast for you by not having to bring them to professional shops.
Different Types of Manual Knife Sharpeners
1. Sharpening stones
Sharpening stones can either be hard oilstones or soft waterstones; hard stones need mineral oil or kerosene as lubricant and soft stones are aided just by using water. These traditional sharpening tools require constant practice as you solely rely on your hands and eyes for checking and sharpening the blade. Using stones requires a lot of time, and is not the greatest option for regular kitchen duties.
2. Manual blade carver
These manufactured sharpeners use a V-shaped cutting notch that carves a new edge, regardless of the original blade’s original edge. They’re usually made from tungsten carbide that is hard enough to reset the blade’s form.
3. Manual blade grinder
A manual blade grinder basically uses a fixed rotating wheel that is either an abrasive ceramic or diamond-coated steel. This grinds the edge of knives to produce a sharper blade.
What Should I Look For When Buying a Manual Knife Sharpener?
1. It should be easy to use.
Sharpening stones are a great option if you are looking to learn the actual art of knife sharpening, but if you’re buying just for the maintenance of your knives, then look at a more convenient device. Manual sharpeners
2. Has an ergonomic and convenient design.
Look for a tool that has a grip design so you can easily position yourself when sharpening.
3. Quality of sharpening.
Read which material was used for the sharpening material, this will likely dictate the kind of sharpening output you can expect.If you have high-quality blades, choose a product that can compliment your knife and will ensure a safe sharpening process.
Set aside the price matters and invest on a knife sharpener that can last a long time. Look at the build quality, if it is made from plastic then see that it is not the brittle kind. Have a feel of the screws and the connections, take into consideration that it should be sturdy enough to handle even bigger knives.
Top 5 Best Manual Knife Sharpener In 2018
1. Besiva 3-Stage Professional Manual Kitchen Knife Sharpener
The Besiva 3-Stafe professional manual kitchen knife sharpener is a 3-stage sharpening system that gives the option of finishing, polishing, and exact grinding your blade’s edges. It comes in a solid ABS plastic body designed to withstand regular usage and is made with a handle to provide a comfortable grip to the user.
- It is equipped with a slip-resistant rubber bottom that keeps the device in place during sharpening;
- The handle design allows for a great grip;
- The 3-stage system offers a flexible slot sharpening function for every kitchen knive’s needs;
- Can sharpen kitchen scissors;
- Sharpener is compatible even for ceramic knives;
- Sturdy plastic body and well-built.
- The sharpening material loses its capacity to create a sharp knife after a few use.
2. KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2-Stage Knife Sharpener
The KitchenIQ 50009 knife sharpener is a compact tool that only measures 4.3 x 5.9 inches and weighs around 0.6 ounces. The sharpening system comes in two slots: coarse is for the dull and even damaged knives, and the fine slot is for polishing the knife or for touch-ups on an already sharp knife. It has an Edge Grip feature, and is basically made compact for easy storage, but not compromising on work output.
- The Edge Grip feature allows sharpening to be done on the counter’s edge and is able to prevent the tip of larger knives from dragging into the surface of the counter;
- Its a very compact device that fits in the palm of your hand, but is able to accommodate even bigger blades;
- Has a non-slip base in addition to the edge grip feature;
- Can be used even for ceramic knives;
- Can be used as a travel sharpener for outdoor trips.
- Size may need some getting used to as it does not have a handle for easy grip;
- Ceramic stones for fine honing lose shape quickly.
3. Chef’s Choice 4643 ProntoPro 3-Stage Manual Knife Sharpener
Chef’s Choice is a well-known producer of knife sharpeners, and this 4643 ProntoPro 3-Stage Manual Knife Sharpener is one of their quality products. It is created to accommodate any blade ranging from kitchen knives to sports and pocket knives. The end product of the 4643 ProntoPro is an arch-shaped edge that gives a stronger and durable blade.
- It is well-built and sturdy;
- Features an extendedsoft handle design making it easier to grip even when sharpening;
- 100 percent dimond abrasive wheels provide sharp, arc-shaped edge;
- It is fast to use, a few strokes and the sharpening process is done;
- Safe to use even with expensive knives as it will beautifully polish and rejuvenate any blade;
- Best used for dull knives, adding touch-ups to already sharp knives would not create much difference and may only damage the blade;
- No instructions included in the packaging, improper use may damage your knife.
4. Victorinox Handheld Manual Knife Sharpener
Different from how other manual knife sharpeners look, the Victorinox Manual Knife Sharpener is a handheld device that is almost similar to the size of a knife’s handle. It is built with durable sharpening plates that are precisely angled resulting to a keen and razor-sharp edge. This device measures approximately 1-2/5 by 4-2/3 by 9 inches, compact and sturdy.
- Unlike most knife sharpeners, this is dishwasher-safe;
- Designed with full-length finger guards to ensure a safe sharpening process;
- It is a handheld device, convenient for use by either a right-handed or left-handed person;
- It is manufactured by a well-known company of knives, the build quality is excellent and lasts years;
- Works wonders on sharpening 15 degree edges;
- Sharpening time is fast, only needs two to four strokes for the blade to regain sharpness;
- The installed hard plates can be turned, doubling the lifespan of the sharpener;
- Capable of sharpening even pocket knives.
- Does not come with the added feature of manual knife sharpeners that are not handheld, cannot provide grinding, solely used for sharpening blades.
5. Brod & Taylor Professional Knife Sharpener
Brod & Taylor’s Professional Knife Sharpener looks a little bit intimidating as it differs from the usual form of knife sharpeners. This solid stainless steel sharpener weighs 2 pounds, and is made in Austria. It works for both serrated and non-serrated knives as the sharpeners are made from tungsten carbide that can last up to 5 years, and comes with replacements.
- Precision tungsten-carbide sharpeners are connected to spring-action bars that adjust to the angle of your knife’s blade. You can control the angle of it from 12 degrees to 20 degrees depending on the needs of your blade;
- Can be used even for high-end or quality knives as it does not damage the edges;
- Can handle both serrated and non-serrated knives;
- Sturdy and well-built, ensuring a longer lifespan;
- The hand-polished solid stainless steel material gives an elegant touch to your kitchen.
- Has no handle to easily grip the device, tipping over may occur when sharpening especially with larger kitchen knives;
Check out the following sharpener!
- best electric knife sharpener
- best fillet knife sharpener
- best honing steel
- best diamond sharpening stone
- best japanese water stones
The products mentioned above are of great quality and features, but what stood out is the Victorinox Handheld Manual Knife Sharpener.
It is not in the form we are accustomed to, but it delivers a great job in keeping knives in their top shape. The added feature of being able to turn the hard plates is a great addition that makes it a long-lasting product. It’s easy to clean, dishwasher safe, portable, easy to use, and the results makes it the best manual knife sharpener. This may be the product that can give you a greater kitchen preparation experience.